Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Dishwashing Powder

I'm on a role here, with the homemade items, tonight I decided to try the homemade dishwashing detergent.  I made it earlier and ran our first load of dishes through and they came out just the same as always, maybe even a little cleaner than normal.  I had a casserole dish in there and it came out perfect, that hardly ever happens!

I took a few different recipes I found and made a combo of them. 

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup lemi shine

Then for a rinse agent I used White vinegar. 

To make the detergent it's as easy as it gets, measure the items, pour together and blend well! 
You will need 1 tbsp per load. 

It's hard to figure an exact cost for this but if you purchase a box of borax and washing soda you could make about 6 loads of the detergent and then you would need 2 bottles of lemi shine for a total of about $13. 

30 loads  at 1 tbsp each x 6 batches=180 loads
$13.00 / 180 loads= $.07 per load

I saw where someone had used Palmolive Eco gel and figured it cost them about $0.14 per load, that's twice as much as homemade.  It may just be cents but I know we run our dishwasher every day so cents adds up around here! 

Now I just need to make a cute little container like this to keep my detergent in!

If anyone else has any other good recipes to share let us know!  So far this one seems to work but I wouldn't mind trying others as well, especially is someone has a less expensive combo! 




1 comment:

Jared and Randi said...

When I get some vinal for my cricut you can make some letters to make this container if you want!

Post a Comment